Friday, June 15, 2007

The Rajini Phenomenon

The papers and news websites are filled with mention of just one movie. Sivaji the boss, starring the inimitable Rajinikanth, who in his 60 plus 'eth' year effortlessly plays a 30 something year old larger than life protagonist.

Now I confess that I have never watched a Rajini movie in Tamil.
I have only watched his Hindi movies where he played Shivaji Rao Gaekwad - the dusky hero ... surprisingly he has acted in quite a few old Hindi movies.

I have read in the newspaper reports of how the crowds are going crazy over his latest movie , performing poojas, bursting crackers, distributing sweets and dancing in the aisles during the movie.
This of course is something that regularly used to happen for Rajini movies in the recent decade or so ... buts its the first time that his movie has gotten such mainstream publicity outside the south.

I caught the trailer of the movie on rediff. It seemed really wierd with Rajini sporting a blond hairdo with his face all bleached dancing wit ha nubile nymphet. his regular stunts have gone high tech with reportedly 80 crores being spent on the making of this movie .. .wit ha major chunk having gone to his paycheque itself i'm sure.

One stunt in the trailer blew me away .. I mean seriously it threw me .... it's a stunt where he has both his arms outstretched to his sides, in the right a gun. He pulls the trigger, shoots, then bounces the gun off his shoulders on the back of his neck, to his other shoulder into his left hand and shoots again. Go check it out.

That scene is so awesome that i'm sure no one in Hollywood would have been able to conceive such a action shot ever. Another person who comes to my mind is Mithun who still continues to make movies where his logic defying action sequences are the main attractions of all his depressingly same films.

But Mithun has nowhere near the style of Rajini.

This still doesn't mean that I'll be watching Sivaji - The Boss.
Its not due to any prejudice against the movie or its lead actor. Its simply because I don't understand Tamil.

Man what I'd give to act in a Hindi movie and be adored by so many million!
Which is why I can understand why that misery of living Himmesh is coming out with his own movie wierdly titled (notice all the alphabets here) - "Aaapka Surroor - The Movee - The Real Luv Story" Yawn! Whatever!

2 comments:

Pradeep Silva said...

hey i watched the trailer online because everyone was talking about it on the list. i was laffing till tears were rolling down my cheeks. and the trailer was only two mins long. imagine if i were to watch the whole movie....i would probably not live to tell the tale.

irv said...

all i can say is,neither of u 2 should make a trip down south,ur liable not to return