Sunday, April 29, 2007

The Art of Loving

I dunno what's the big deal with all this love stuff. In the next few pages i'm gonna rant and rave against it. This is the kind of stuff that I normally spout or splutter when Valentine's day comes along ... along with its cutesy heart shaped saccharine sweet accessories.
I mean of course even I've been in love ... more than once ... made me feel so crappy each time.

I just saw a squeamishly romantic, tragically pathetic Hindi movie on TV ... was forced to watch it for reasons best left unexplained here. Each time the on screen couple coochie - coochied to each other ...singing sweet paeans about the glory of love and what not ... i felt like puking my guts out.

I mean we Indians can't stand public displays of love right? Yet our movies seem to be full of them. The hero - heroines prance all around the rest of the world dancing .. generally displaying their love by gyrating their hips and shaking their booty for all to see. So then what's the big deal?
Why do couples at Bandstand get booked for indecent behaviour? Why the cops harass young couples just aching for some privacy? Why do two communities excommunicate and issue fatwahs against two people who did just the silly mistake of falling in love? Why does Richard Gere get an arrest warrant issued against him for just giving a peck to Shilpa Shetty on her cheek. Why don't I ever get such an oppurtunity? With Shilpa I mean ... not Gere ... ahem moving on.

Well it's because we Indians have a purdah mentality which we like to impose on others irrespective of whether they like it or not.
I call it the "Yahan mat karo, Wahan karo, Jhaadi ke peeche!" mentality. Of course currently even the Jhaadi ke peeche part is frowned upon.

I feel that such a moralistic attitude is right...I mean even though we Indians produce nanha munha bacchas at a rate like no other country...we still like that stuff to be hidden...which is absolutely correct. But hey that's my opinion. Because i'm irrational. Because I'm an Indian.

Next week's topic...Mandira's sarees and Ash and Abhishek's honeymoon...Pretty Intelligent stuff. Stay tuned...

No comments: